- Confident Communicators;
- Knowledgeable and Expert Learners;
- Committed Community Contributors;
- Future Ready Young People.
Following years of differentiation of the National Curriculum, adaptations and 'making do', we, at Beckfoot Phoenix are proud to have developed our own curriculum for our very special 21st Generation learners.
A recent external review of our curriculum (May 2019) reported that our curriculum is 'innovative' and 'ambitious because it seeks to focus on the priority needs of the pupils and to maximise their independence and participation in wider life'.
Our curriculum is developmental, meaningful and functional. It is research based and includes the essential building blocks for learning that our children may have missed, such as executive functioning skills ie. working memory, cognitive flexibility, and inhibitory control, finger and hand dexterity and strength, and social and emotional development.
Our curriculum runs throughout school from nursery to key stage 2 and incorporates all aspects of the Early Years curriculum as well as aspects of the National Curriculum that are appropriate to our children's lives. It is planned by developmental stage rather than age, with children being grouped into Bases and classes accordingly.
- look on class Dojo to see what the class have been doing and do more of this at home.
- read at home.
- read and count when out and about.
- complete any homework that the class has sent home.
- take part in any activities that will help the progress made towards EHCP targets.
- our curriculum rationale that explains our intent, implementation and impact - see attachment above.
- our curriculum coverage document that shows the coverage across our 5 curriculum stages - see attachments below.